Thursday, September 27, 2012

English & Company

Time for a little information about where I'm working.

The school itself is fairly small and has been open for 6 - 7 years now. The school consists of four people really: Maria and Howard are the directors/teachers, and then there's me and Charlotte. Maria and Howard are wonderful and clearly love what they are doing; their advice for me starting out teaching kids for the first time has been unbelievably helpful. The school is on two floors of a building on the Rambla del Passeig. Each of us has a classroom: mine is the "orange room" and has some really awesome windows which are constantly distracting the students, especially the kids.

The students vary in age going from around eight years old up to whatever the oldest adult is. We all teach a variety of age groups although the adult classes aren't starting until next week.

I love the fact that it's a small school and that the directors are teaching alongside us. That was something I liked about Kaplan in Cambridge as well.

I've found a place to live as well. For my first two weeks or so I was staying with Maria and she was able to help me do house-hunting and all other sorts of paperwork involved in staying here since she speaks Catalan. I'm now living with a couple who are in their last year at university. They speak some English but not enough to hold a very detailed conversation.

I will hopefully be making a trip to Barcelona this weekend, so more soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment